Wednesday, April 13, 2016

An Important Mind Body Lesson on the Flying Change

Today I learned something very important. The aid for the flying change is only the split second I ask for the change. It doesn't start at K, go though the corner and continue on the diagonal. On my approach, all I should be thinking about is riding the canter with quality and jump. My first change today, I started worrying as soon as I departed in canter, mentally focused on the change for stride after stride. I made my horse anticipate and worry, and he offered a few changes ahead of my aid. Once I was able to forget the change and focus on the canter only, we got changes easily to each side.

At one point, Patty asked me to tap Hot to straighten his haunch and he immediately threw a change. I then had to tap him several times until he A) stopped changing and B) Stopped kicking out. This was hard for me, because I felt he thought I meant for him to change when I tapped him, and was trying to please. Amusingly, during this tapping, he gave several clean changes on a circle! He's certainly showing himself capable. Now the task will be to make him confident in my aid, and have that aid never change.

Another thing I want to remember from today was a training ride I watched where Patti rode collected canter. The horse had terrific energy and he barely covered ground. I'm putting that picture of contained energy waiting on the rider in my mind. Also want to remember that the level of energy I want to create with Hot is the same one he gives me with ground assistance. It's a lively, powerful, electric feeling. In the canter, I want that clear three beat canter, and the second I feel less, I touch with the leg. I always need to bring his left hind under his body, so cantering right lead, I'll be straight by thinking haunches in. Cantering left lead, I'll be straight by thinking a little renvers.

Whew! I'm so excited for tomorrow. I hope Hot is resting well. He broke quite a sweat today. Will get some riding pics or video tomorrow!
Hot dried himself off with a good roll in his shavings

Making himself right at home.

More clockwork: The aisle is sprinkled with water before its final sweep at 3:30.


No comments:

Post a Comment