Friday, April 15, 2016

Two Bluebirds of Happiness and More Changes

Thursday we focused on the trot work (here's a short clip from Thursday's lesson, showing the trot to almost walk exercise), bringing Hot more together, more in balance and continuing to reinforce his enthusiastic, immediate response to the "touch" of my leg. I get such a great illustration of this core principle watching all the rides before me, both training rides and other student lessons. Each horse, no matter his level, is held to the same standard. He gets a chance to respond to a tiny quiet leg aid ("a touch") or he gets a strong corrective kick forward, then a retest of the lightest aid. The keys for me are to be 100 percent consistent in the application of the aid, and in my expectation for the response. Black and white. And it won't do at all if I noodle around with my leg meaninglessly at say, the free walk during warm up, then suddenly pick him up and now my leg is all business. Leg off, or leg used purposefully. No moving the goal post -- not fair to the horse. Looking at the video myself last night, I was so disappointed to see that in spite of working hard to fix a wobbly right lower leg and a tendency to get my shoulders behind the vertical at trot, there was the evidence on video that I haven't tackled these position faults yet. Recently I read "believe the picture, not the feeling." It's hard to watch video of myself riding, but it was just what I needed. I resolved to study Patti's biomechanics on Friday and "be her" for my next ride. We hacked out after our lesson on the beautiful grass paths around Fireside Farm and saw a pair of bluebirds flutter up to the canopy right in front of us. I don't know if Hot smiled, but I did. They were beautiful.


Friday's ride: Hot now swiftly responds to the "touch," and over the week, we've created a reliable "go button." Today in our lesson Patti said "Now you can mold the clay." This is exciting! Now that I  have the energy, and a muscle memory of what a powerful horse feels like when he's through to the bridle for third level (feels like sitting on a strung bow that's ready to shoot an arrow), we can start refining this response to the half halt. We worked on that today, sending him forward, closing the hand and then giving. Repeat, repeat, repeat. So I keep assessing the energy, keeping the tank nicely topped off instead of creating energy and riding it until it wanes and praying!

I rode a nice change right to left and eventually got one left to right after several wobbly approaches and some over aiding. Here's what I want to remember.

  • You know when you have the canter now. It's the rolling through the back, super energetic and into the bridle feeling. That's the canter you can ask from. When he gives you the change clean, go to the wall first and then walk and pat him. Don't stop as soon as he changes.
  • Stay sitting tall and just bump with your new outside calf. Don't throw yourself in the new lead direction or do anything with you hips. Stay centered and firm in your core and firm in your contact.
  • You should be able to tap him in canter without him throwing a change. Be sure to keep the bend and tap for activity if you need to. I think we'll sort this out -- he seems a bit confused and annoyed. Frankly, he's always been a little tantrumy with the whip, and I'm a very light user of my whip. He may need to get over that.
  • I like our balance here for third level. Got to get my sternum forward.
    My eyes and head should be looking straight ahead. Hot is lowering his haunch and giving me a nice solid contact and plenty of energy here.
  • .



No comments:

Post a Comment