Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Off to a Flying Start

Arrived at the barn close to 7:15am to be sure I could catch Patti riding Freedom, the stallion on which she usually starts the day. This being Tuesday (first day back to work for all the horses), most of the rides consisted of basic work such as checking responsiveness to the aids. Freedom is held to a high standard on the latter. I make a note that I must be consistent in my own expectations of my horse's responsiveness. Not strict one day and lax the next (guilty!). Always the same aid and the same expectation. That's a basic I've heard many times, but watching Patti and Freedom illustrates the concept.

My own ride is at 12:45, so I have a few hours to watch lessons, graze Hot on the spring grass and check in with the saddle fitter. Everything runs on a schedule at Fireside, and everyone is on time. A marker board lists the rides and lessons for the day and Patti goes at intervals to check off horses done. I keep checking my watch to be sure I enter the ring five minutes early.

Our lesson was also a "Tuesday" lesson, but Hot was so generous and good feeling that we were able to do a lot of good work for the first day. Here are my notes:

Warm up: I shouldn't spend every warm-up bringing him from 1st level to 4th. He can stretch but he needs to carry himself more from the start. Even as I pick him up in the walk, I should feel activity behind and willingness to go honestly to the bridle. A strong contact is OK and expected right now until he becomes stronger in his carrying power. Shorten my reins and when I think they're really short, then shorten then once more. Keep my elbow bent and my hand closed on the rein.

Trot: We went large at sitting trot and brought him almost to walk then right back out to trot. He was to respond immediately to a touch with the leg, and I was to maintain the frame and keep the tempo. He came more and more under and felt so powerful. I could feel in this trot that a transition to medium would be right "on tap." This is the trot I need for my daily work at home.

Canter: With Patti assisting on the ground, I asked Hot to become active behind in canter with a touch of the leg, then take my leg off. I kept my contact, engaged my core and didn't allow the new energy coming from behind to turn into a strung out horse. Hot, bless him, was right on board with this. I had the canter quality I needed to try a change. On my first try, I threw him away before asking and he was late.  Sort of a panic on my part. Patti said that as I come across the diagonal, I need check a few things before attempting the change: Is his straight? Is he together? Is he waiting for my aid (not jumping ahead) and ONLY THEN should I ask. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with finishing the diagonal and counter cantering and trying again. We finished up the lesson with a clean change in each direction and much praise for Hot. Praise too for Andria Pooley, who did a great job of keeping him happy and relaxed in his change this winter. We are off to a great start!

Finished the day watching a few more training rides while Hot enjoyed the sun on his back and a roll in the paddock. Very excited for tomorrow, and grateful to be here. Miss my family so much
You mean I can spend ALL DAY at the barn? 

Hot  enjoying some horse time.

Like clockwork: As the last training ride finishes, the arena is groomed for the next day.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment